For Your Information & Entertainment News Updates

I Feel Good Being A Film Director -Apanpa

by Webtek , at 17:08 , has 0 comments



Saheed  Apanpa is an internationally recognised film maker,  director and an actor. He has won lots of accolades including Best Film in Africa awards in 2013 when his film ‘Hood Rush’ was featured at the  Berlin film festival in Germany. In this interview with ANTHONY ADA ABRAHAM during a movie shoot in Abuja, he speaks on his rise to prominence in the industry.
What was your start up in the industry like?
I actually started up as an actor, learning the rudiments of film making. Actually I studied film making abroad after doing some courses here in Nigeria.

How has it been as a film director?
Being a film director is a blessing. I love my job, I love what I do. Adding beauty to the script. We learn every day and I’m open to learning every minute which has been helpful. Taking courses online, reading and learning from my mentors. Being a director has been very lovely, it’s been great.

How do you feel as a director working with the top notch stars in the industry?
Working with the top notch has been fulfilling because I still look up to these actors back then. So working with them now feels good. It’s like ‘one day one day, I will do something with this actor’. And now I’m working with them. It’s been fulfilling. It’s like a dream come true… and I’m happy that things are working out the way it should. I’m happy.

What are you working on?
Right now I’m working on a film called ‘Power of Tomorrow’. It’s a great script which has to do with politics. Also, it’s a great project which is going to blow a lot of people’s mind because it’s action packed, technically implemented and today is the last shoot. The Power of Tomorrow is a very big project. We thank God that we could achieve and get this far.

You also directed Dark Closet?
Yes Dark Closet is a film I did before this one. It stars an array of very good actors Jibola Dabo, Eucharia Anunobi, Sani Danja, Yakubu Mohammed and others. It’s a film to watch out for. The thriller is already out, while the full package will follow soon. The making of the film is also out on DSTV, Ontv, HipTV and others. People should look out for Dark Closetl. The story line is unique, not the usual day to day thing that people are used to. It is lovely.

As a movie director, what are the basic things you look out for?
Hmmm…as a director, one thing I look out for is the script. Some other directors get it wrong when they think the cast is the main thing. From my own point of view the script is the major because there is nothing a good director could do with a bad script. I look out for the script first. Then I look for the characters to bring out the beauty of the script.

Have you ever had any confrontation with the crew on set?
There would always be confrontation. We come from different backgrounds. Being on set and working for a number of days together, definitely there’s going to be an issue. Just like a husband and wife, they will always have a fight, but then they come together and work it out. In film making we also have a way of working it out. We have disagreements. We are twisted on opinions and later on we finalise and make a decision together and move forward. It’s normal to have issues with directors on set because they want to do it their way and the director wants to do it his way. The director is the god on the set because he sees the picture, that is the final say.

How do you see the growth in the movie industry?
We have gone far compared to the old days. We have more sophisticated equipment, and more knowledge now. I always tell people not to compare Nigeria with America because we are just too young for America. It took them time to get where we are going and it’s definitely going to take us time. But we are growing.
Just like our music industry, if you compare 10 years ago and now, you’ll see that entertainment has grown. The reason why it’s growing is because we have young talented upcoming directors producers, actors. It’s not about them using their old faces again, because people don’t believe in that, just shoot a good job. With the new knowledge that the new set of film makers are acquiring, bringing it down to the filming set, is looking well.

What are the qualities of cameras you use as director in shooting movies because there are still people who shoot with Camcorder or even phones just to make money and not bordering about quality?
Well I always tell people that even if you have the most expensive cameras and you don’t have a good handler, editor of photography, you will shoot rubbish. So the cameras I use are Cannon EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.3.3. And the Dps(DOP) are knowledgeable enough because they know the in and out of a camera. They are comfortable working with the cameras so they bring out the picture we are looking for. It’s like a five and six thing because the DOP and the cameras must be good. We have other equipment that we use like the sound. I always take my audio separately so that we lay during the post production stage.

You have a lot of following, what should they expect from your latest work?
This is 2015, it’s going to be a great year. I have shot four films in this early quarter of the year. The year is looking well and great and my followers are growing because they have seen the quality of the job. We are doing something different because it’s not the usual production they have been seeing. I just want to tell them to expect more jobs and productions.

Do you think the movie industry is getting to that height lots of fans are aiming at?
Yes it is. As you can see, more cinemas are being built. As I always tell people that it’s like a market woman, if she’s not making money selling pepper, she won’t come back the next day to sell. Film making is getting to the level where international standards are fully applied. For instance there is a movie I did with a good friend of mine, ‘Hood Rush’ we won the Best Film in Africa in 2013 in Berlin, Germany. When we take our films that far that means we are actually getting there.
We are taking the film to different awards different festivals. We are moving forward. Locally, cinemas are being built, people Re attending cinemas, look at 30 Days in Atlanta, it’s now the highest grossed film in Nigeria. For now it’s been great for AY, the returns it’s been heavy. The out is heavy and the turnout is there. People showed up. Definitly in the next 5-years, what going to happen is more quality work coking out.

Script is one of the basics on film production. As a director, do you consider the script before accepting the challenge as director?
 The truth is this. When a script is being brought to me, I read it, after which I call the writer back. Where I feels he needs to change something appalling, he dies that. So we have different stages of script conferencing. Conference matters a lot because that’s where we think we could take out or change something and bring out something new which has been helping me.

As a director and someone closer to the marketers, what do you think could be done to curb the menace of piracy?
 The government . If the government could support us by bringing in a proper structure, piracy will fade out, but without a proper structure, it will never go out.

Do you also do music directing, or is your focus on Nollywood alone?
 Yes I have directed kits of music videos. Direction is an expression. It’s someone that can express very well that would bring out good picture in anything that he’s doing. I have done a couple of musical videos, and if anyone comes my way I will still do.
Does dieting affect the musical growth?
Yes it does. It comes with a lot of things it comes with modernisation. We are not in the old school stage again. In every aspect of it, everybody. Is growing, just like a director in back then. He might not have the facilities or resources to do a better job then, bit now 2015, better jobs are there, better resources, better handlers. Different gadgets like mini jeep, great lighting. It affects them.
to my supporter , without you I won’t be here o…you have given me the zeal and courage to move forward. I have many followers following. And I thank everyone for the support so far, and the producers for giving me the jobs. My name is actually circulating everywhere so I thank God.

Thanks For Visiting Naijaballers.com Please Don't Forget To Add Your Comment To Our Posts...

To Add A Comment ? Please Check The Comment Box Below...
Thank You For Visiting


CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates

I Feel Good Being A Film Director -Apanpa
About
I Feel Good Being A Film Director -Apanpa - written by Webtek , published at 17:08, categorized as Entertainment . And has 0 comments
0 comments Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply
Copyright ©2015 NaijaBallers Blog
Template Redesigned By Webtech - Published by NaijaBallers
Powered by Blogger
-->